Nfbtrans is free, and can be downloaded from the nfb file area, but the osx
specific changes won't be in it there.  I had posted it on my site I'd thought,
but it doesn't appear to be there, so I'll send it to you in email.
As for learning to use it, it's fairly straightforward, there's codes for blank
lines, (~s) center (~c),  page numbering, table of contents, and so on.
They're not hard to learn, but as I said, they do require hand coding them into
the document to be translated, which is what turns off most folks from using it.
I may take a crack at writing an rtf to nfbtrans format converter, but it won't
be this week, and in any case, that's not a job that can be knocked out in a
couple hours anyhow.  But, if you're ok with working on text files, and editing
them for inserting the nfbtrans codes, you can easily use nfbtrans for
translating your braille documents.  If you have a serial to usb adapter, it's
likely nfbtrans will work out of the box on your printer, if not, you may have
to manually copy the file to the printer (nfbtrans really isn't setup to handle
unix device names).  Usually, what I do is translate the document on my mac,
then print it on my dos machine.  Eventually, it will irritate me enough to fix
it so it works all from the mac, but I don't have a usb braille printer, and
testing would be problematic in that case. :)
I would of course be willing to assist anyone needing help getting it to work
on their macs.  It's likely an apple script or shell script could be written to
automate the entire process, but I've not gotten around to doing that just yet,
though come to think of it, an apple script to do the initial conversion
wouldn't be very difficult, I may do that and post here tonight or tomorrow.
Nfbtrans isn't the most automatic program out there, but it sure can do the job
if you're willing to work with it a little.
hth.