I don't know if it works on newer versions of osx, I don't have any to test,
but the softcon audio burn app can do this, and you can find it at the softcon
mac pages.
http://www.softcon.com/mac/
If it doesn't work, even though you said you don't want to do it with itunes,
I'm fairly certain it can be done, but you'd need to edit each and every song,
and change the options on it, to make it part of a gapless album, though I'm
not positive about the cross fade thing.  Failing that, you could always do
something like icecast and a playlist, then capture it with hijack audio, but
that's an aweful lot of work to get the final results.
And that wouldn't burn the songs, just record them so you could burn the
resulting capture file. :)
Anyway, hopefully others can assist if this doesn't do the trick.