I don't think the recall was strictly because the battery originally had a poor
life. I think it may have been because its life decreased more quickly than it
should have.
When I got mine replaced approximately a year into use, I noticed a real
difference. I used it heavily enough that I needed to charge daily. I still
needed to charge daily with the replacement phone, but it was a little better.
I used that phone for an additional year before upgrading to the 6 Plus. The
battery life is definitely much, much better with the 6 Plus.
As an example, with the 6 Plus and a full charge, I can use BARD mobile for an
hour and the charge still reads 100%. The 6 Plus seems to be really efficient
at certain functions like playing audio.
However, there are certainly features of the 5S that would make me choose it
over the 5 if I had a choice right now. The 5S processor is better and
supports 64-bit and it also has a fingerprint reader.

I'm sure the replacements we were getting for the iPhone 5 were reconditioned
so I don't doubt that someone may have gotten a battery that worked more poorly
than the one it replaced. But for me, the replacement came at just the right
time because I was starting to have to supplement my daily charge with a few
sips throughout the day.

I can sometimes use the 6 Plus for two days and still have 40 percent or more.
However, if I use GPS/location services, that is definitely not the case. As I
mentioned, I think there are certain functions where the 6 Plus and probably
the 6 as well are really very efficient. And there are other areas where
battery drain is extreme.

But if I had a choice between a 5 and 5S right now, I would choose the 5S
without a second thought.