As far as developing apps goes, Apple's Xtools just aren't there.  It's gotten
better as versions of Xcode has gone up, but last time I checked, (and that was
a few releases back) it still wasn't possible to build an app from scratch
using apple's tools if you wanted to have a gui with the app.  Now, with that
said, I have written apps for osx, and even modified existing apps to make them
work better, the only issue was, I needed sighted assistance for parts of the
process.  Others have successfully used tools like renasance and produced quite
usable programs.  Java also works well (or used to, I've not written anything
in java for a couple years, so this may have changed).  Of course, if you write
your application in php/html/javascript, and host it on a web server, then it
will work for osx and ios with no trouble, assuming you build it properly.  Of
course, the downside of that is you can't use the app in offline mode, but it
doesn't sound like you want offline access anyh
 ow, so that may work for you.
I know there are others who develop on osx and ios, and perhaps they have more
recent experiences they can relate, but I kind of let my osx/ios development
slide after getting so frustrated with the not quite accessible tools, and the
lack of a machine that could run the latest osx release, so perhaps I'm not the
best person to be answering this query, since I've mainly stuck to
linux/terminal apps for the last little while.
Hopefully, someone else will pipe up with better information for you.  If I
ever get a new enough machine to use osx 10.9, I will likely renew my apple
developer access, and begin looking into all this stuff again, but that isn't
likely to happen in the near future.
Hope this helps anyway.