[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Has anyone had a similar problem to this? Is there an easy fix w/o 3rd party software? I like using the 2003 server as a NAT gateway so it acts as a firewall for the network. At this time, I have DHCP set up on my Powerbook and an XP machine on the network. I get two IP addresses from my ISP this way, but my entire network is exposed to the internet (or at least the rest of the neighborhood - I have broadband cable access). Due to this fact, I am only using the Powerbook and the XP machine (with ZoneAlarm firewall) right now.

Hi Mike.
There are a few Mikes here. ;) all good folk.

I had the same ip wierdness with the classic OS and a NAT server.

A few things to check.

1) I cure all ills by using a staic address on the offending mac which fixed the problem. Currently, if the TPC/IP control panel shows the correct ip range aquired from the DHCP server try the next option

2) is the starting domain name in the TPC/IP control panel, put in whatever works in the XP box. Does winipcfg work under XP? Un-needed when configured with a static address.

3) in the options tab make tpc available at startup rather than the default "as needed". Again un-needed using a static address

4) double check the router and dns addresses, add these manually if if they are incorrect.

It's early in the morning for me so I've done a worse than usual job of a reply. If your having no problems filesharing then the tpc config just needs a tweak and you should be surfing again.