On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 22:16:26 -0900, JW Musgrove wrote:
> I use both Macs and PC's; if the application program is properly written, I
> have found the operating platform is pretty much immaterial.  Windows has
> came a long way, my Win 2000 laptop never crashes, but then I am using all
> Windows programs.  My G3 AIO is not so well behaved.  I have a 15" flat
> panel iMac; I have gotten so tired of the spinning pinwheel, the modem
> trying to log on right in the middle of a DVD movie etc, it is like it has a
> mind of it's own.  It knows what I should be doing and how and I better do
> it.  I finally quit using it.  My favourite is the 5400/180 with 5500
> motherboard and 400 mhz G3 accelerator card.  It is rock steady, never loses
> dialup and is a real joy.  Where I work they switched from a mixed
> environment to all PC's couple years ago.  Mainly because the company wide
> applications were better supported in Windows.  There is a whole support
> group of IT gurus so the system runs pretty smooth from the user standpoint.
> Don't know what kind of headaches they have, though.

The spinning pinwheel may be caused by a shortage of memory.  I added
some more to my iMac, and it seems better.  OSX does an excellent job
of managing memory, but if it doesn't have enough, then it will take
longer to do some things.

Also, the modem connecting at odd times may be your computer trying to
reset the clock.  Go into preferences-> date & time and turn off "set
date and time automatically."

> Several years ago, when email began to really catch on, Macs did not
> tolerate a lot of the attachments being circulated, .exe's, Windows
> video/audio clips and such without getting on the Internet and downloading
> special plugins or codecs.  I know a couple of people who transitioned to
> PC's just for this reason.  The average user is not responsible for the fact
> that PC's dominate the market, they just don't want to be left out in the
> cold, unable to interact with other users; and may feel that Macintosh may
> some day just go the way of the dinosaurs and their $ was wasted.  A person
> who sells PC's can't make any money off Macs so automatically writes you off
> and wants you to get out of his way.

I rarely get an attachment that I'm unable to open on my Mac.  If I do,
I resend it to myself, and open it on the PC (if I know it's a PC
attachment).  I think the last thing I couldn't open on my Mac was from
my Dad--who only uses Macs!! (now explain that one!!)