Michael Dawe wrote:

On 1 Mar 2004 at 12:36, Darren wrote:

A fellow lister put me on to SheepShaver, a emulator by the folks behind Basilisk II

Moi perhaps? ;) The B2 JIT contribution by "Gwenole Beauchesne" IIRC. SheepShaver is now vers. 2.2 as of last Wednesday.

The official SheepShaver site is:
<http://www.uni-mainz.de/~bauec002/SheepShaver.html>

Hi Mike
Who else would put me on to such a project of frustration?
Version 2.2.10 includes the ethernet hack for sheepnet, haven't got that far yet. Not found in 2.2.8 and below

Using the rom-grabber from Basilisk on a beige mac produced a dodgy rom image (it was never built for ppc's). The tool, CopyROM worked well enough to get to a full desktop, unstable but workable. Speed is a little slower than B2, not much.

This is something I haven't tried [as yet]. How about the [Classic Mac] software ROM files for iMacs? Any use? I see them on iMac install/boot CD's. Or are they an extra, and still require the ROM in hardware?

I've tried the rom files from the 8.5 and 9.0 install cd's. The emulation docs state a 4mb rom file is required, the files from these two cd's are 1.8mb as is the rom update 1.6 found on version tracker or cnet. When these files are used in sheepshaver both cd's will boot, almost to desktop but the emulation will stop as a <ObjectLibSupport> error is displayed with a reboot button.
The 7300 refuses to load a imac install cd but will load the rescue cd which does have a 4mb rom file, 9.0.4 though. If you would be kind enough to send me a 4mb 8.5 file I'd be grateful or one off a native G3. ;)

My gut feeling is SheepShaver will work better on PPC Linux. Encouraging to see you getting this far all the same :)

I'll try it on mdk-ppc but I've already got a happily working MoL install, it does suggest trying MoL's rom may work.
MoL requires more direct access to the cpu and will not be ported to doze.

The 7300's rom image will go as far as selecting the disk to install 8.5 onto before the emulation freezes. When using B2's hardfile its nice to get message telling me I'd be better off using ppc versions of ATM and one other.

Ok, its a little off topic but not much, hopefully we will soon have a ppc emulator for win32 as good as BII.

SheepShaver is rather unstable on my system. My feeling is the rom file plays a major part in this, with the right file some of the instability might settle down. I'll play with it a bit and dig through the forums, if I manage to boot a 8.5 hardfile I'll let you know.

In summary it half works, its early days yet so its something to watch.

Cheers