Brian Futrell wrote:

Hmm....

I'm at a loss for words on this one.

I tried editing the file without running sudo, and I got the message 'can not open the file for writing'. I've also tried it with sudo to allow access to the file, and it saves properly then.

Not having OS X.x I've not added to the thread.
My question: do you have a root account?
I've followed the thread but fail to see how sudo would work without a root login, does the admin login cover this? sorry if I'm looking through linux eyes. Gretchen is possibly having permission problems? file not found is a common error when a user tries to access a admin file or a file which is not included in their group access.
Am I mistaken in thinking OSX does not install a root account by default?

Cheers