This morning for the heck of it, I tried some more Googling, looking
for "Long File Names for Windows", having had no success with
VIEWLFN. BULLSEYE! I found a link to Freeware World which talked
about the company going out of business in the year 2000, and a link
to the company website (which is being used for a successor business)
that dropped me right on the final NAME of the program, "Instant File
Access." They'd changed the name of the program and apparently that
of the company as well.

The URL for which you seek is [http://www.alexoft.com/alexoft],
which has a download link to the final version, ifa400.exe--a
self-extracting WinZIP file--and generic registration information to
input when installing the program. I've already downloaded it. It's
now 100% freeware, though PayPal donations are encouraged.

Now, I'm going to charge you a "finder's fee" for this; when you get
your ultimate retro Windows system together, I expect to get a full
CD copy of the thing (and a set of the install files of all of the
utilities you added) so I can dump it into a hard drive and play with
it too.

DON'T CHEW FERGET IT!

MUGWump

--
I'm a MUGWump: My "MUG" is on the Mac side of the fence (since mid-2002), and
my "Wump" is on the PC side (since 1989). I've been on the trailing edge of