This is a Windows update, possibly auto installed through Windows Update on your NT based i386 box. In a nutshell this update changes the authentication method of SMB.

Problem with this update is that it brakes networking via SMB to win9x based servers including ASIP and some flavors of Samba. Once installed the NT box can see the win9x share but no longer has access to the contents.

Workaround is to remove the update via the Add/Remove CP, if you have updated to SP2 since Feburary you may need to uninstall SP2 so you can see KB 885250 in the Add/Remove Programs control panel. There are other ways to workaround the problems KB 885250 was meant to fix.

Once removed the NT box should again have access to any guest allowed share found in Network Neighbourhood, shares requiring a login maybe able to be accessed via the View WorkGroup window and then mapped for ease. I've had mixed results with this. SP1 and poorly updated SP2 boxes retain the ability to login, other SP2 boxes fail unless guest access is allowed, a less than prefect result.

http://macwindows.com/ as this problem effects x-platform networking.
This is not a SP2 specific update and can cause problems with win - win networking also.

I was a bit slow on the uptake on this one and wasted alot of time Double checking ASIP which runs fine on OS9.1 and 9.2 if the Appleshare 3.8.5 extension is removed by hand before installing version 3.8.8. 3.8.8 is installed as a default with OS9.1.

Does anyone know of the 6.3.3 update for ASIP? Here's a interesting read about this pos software and another example of wonderful public relations, yes I own a copy of ASIP which allows me to vent.
We currently run 6.3.2/OS9.1 on a G4 and 6.3.1/OS9.2 on a powermac, go figure. ;) Does Win2k3 server have services for mac? Might be time to replace ASIP finally depending which way a fix from M$ goes.

I hope this saves someone a little time bugfixing their network.

cheers