Greetings:

I haven't done so for years, but recently I tried to insert an animated GIF into my Writer documents (Mac 3.00 and up under 10.4.11) and found out that it doesn't actually embed self-contained media files in the document anymore like the old versions did, but instead relies on media links which really don't do the job if you're e-mailing a media-embedded doc off to someone else, naturally breaking off the link to the original media files in your machine. Neither have I ever had to insert a media file as an Object to embed it -- which is moot since it still doesn't work for me and all I get is a big Plug-in icon pasted in my doc.

The easiest way to check out whether your document's mov. or animated GIF is embedded or not is to check out the file size; on the Mac, check the Info of a document's icon. It should _at least_ be as large as the original mov. or GIF you inserted. I have a 4meg document with an 4meg animated GIF I made three years ago (when it was easy using Insert Movie and Sound, and before you could embed mov. formats) in Mac OOos). I tried to insert/embed the same mov. that I've on file in a a new doc made in OOo 3.1 under Tiger (same happens with 2.0 under Panther too) and the resultant doc file size is a puny 8kb -- obviously a linked media file. You email such to someone and they open it and they get no show.

I'd go back to my earlier OOo to do all this if I only recalled specifically which OOo version I used back then because non of the 2.0 versions are doing it under 10.3.9 for me anymore. It's crazy. I don't know whether newer versions of Java are inhibiting embedding or not, but its sure not like the old days!

James Greenidge