Hi Eric, *;

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:25 AM, Eric Hoch <eric_openoff...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Jack,
> Am Fri, 4 Jun 2010 10:50:43 -0400 schrieb Jack Howarth:
>>   I noticed that there seems to be no builds
>> on ooopackages.good-day.net for openoffice
>> 3.2.1 rc's under powerpc-apple-darwin.
>
>> Will
>> there be additional powerpc releases or is
>> that support winding down?
>
> Yes there will be an additional release and nope support isn't
> winding down, however it's getting harder to find and get PowerPC
> Macs that can build and test OOo at at significant speed or at a
> reasonable pace.

Nah, that's not really the problem.

> We're talking about automated building and testing
> here. Human tests aren't affected but when taking a look around at
> my peers nearly all the Apple users have upgraded to an Intel Mac
> and the new users often don't know that there were Pre-Intel Macs.

HUMAN tests are those that are the limiting factors. There just is
*no* feedback whatsoever from PPC users (mac users in general)

It is frustrating to see that for example PDF export was broken on PPC
for a looong time. PPC users surely did experience the problem, but
they did not report back, thus it went unnoticed (since that one did
only show up in real-life documents, not in a test-document that has
only "hello world" inside.
It's a lot easier to debug stuff if it is reported early, so you can
check recent changes for suspicious entries. But if you have to check
a whole year of changes, this takes considerably more effort.

not to mention: The release-approval is done by humans.
Unless a human says: I tested PPC on Mac, and found no severe issues
that would block the releae, it won't be put on the regular mirror
network, won't be listed on the main download pages (only under RC
downloads).

So again: Humans are the limiting factors, not the machines!

ciao
Christian