On 4/19/05, Bill Rising <brising at louisville.edu> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2005, at 10:17, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > Thanks, I'd noticed people complaining that there were issues but had
> > put it down as a minor thing. Glad I've been too lazy to kick off the
> > update on my laptop, as it's where I do all my Java development :)
>
> Just a guess about the problems (of which I've had zero): I'd guess
> that the problems with this update come from not having done earlier
> updates (like skipping the Java 1.4.2 Update 2 or the 2005-02, which
> also patched Java). So... if I had to make a wild guess, those that
> have done all updates involving Java in the past will have no problems.
> Those who skipped some updates which affected Java get a mess.
>
> Of course, I have no way of testing this hypothesis.

I suspect the people complaining ran those updates.

My gut guess is that the new Apple release shipped a bad binary in one
of the files and the previous update allows said binary to be replaced
with the older version.

Of course we Java people are all desperately waiting for Tiger aka
Java 5.0 (codenamed Tiger as well) on the Mac. OS X 10.4 is just a
boring cost we'll have to pay while we wait for the real Tiger to
appear :).

Hen