In a message dated 8/24/06 4:18:00 PM, Profile wrote:

> I don't use AOL, so I can't respond to it directly, but with Apple's?
> Mail, you simply hit the reply icon while in the article you wish to?
> address, it will open with the old message, the address filled in,?
> ready for you to type and hit send.? I would think you could reply in?
> a similar manner with AOL???
>
> John R.
>
> Thanks, John (and Russ, who also responded).   If I simply hit "Reply," I get
a "clear" mail box with the correct address -- i.e.
"macgroup at erdos.math.louisville, edu."    But the subject line reads "Re:
macgroup-digest V2 #1264" (or
whatever), not the specific post I want to reply to.   So I have to retype
the subject line.   Then if I select the message I want to reply to, copy and
paste it into the mail box, it says "In a message dated [whatever]
owner-macgroup-digest at erdos.math.louisvile.edu writes:"   followed by the
text I've copied
and pasted.    Obviously, I'm not replying generically to
"owner-macgroup-digest," etc., so I have to retype that line with the name of
whoever wrote the
message I'm replying to.   Others seem to do it with less hassle.   Maybe it
has
to do with the fact that I'm on the digest.   Maybe it's just something I'll
have to live with.   At least, my problem with garbled text seems to have
disappeared.   In any event, much thanks for your responses.

Nolan