Today, trying to clear up a problem with a paint app, I restarted my
computer (1GZ PowerPC G4, running OS 10.4.10), and when it came alive again,
everything was screwed up -- different desktop pattern, dock resized and
repositioned, desktop icons scrambled.  I set about cleaning it up, but soon
discovered that two apps I bought at least two years ago and have been using
with no problem now tell me that I have them only on trial and must buy them
again if I'm going to use them.

For me, the worst is this:  I've been using two versions of Appleworks --
6.0.4, running under Classic, and 6.2.9.  (Yes, I know 6.0.4 is supposed to
be "unstable," but it's always stable for me, and I need it for macros used
in radio scripts.)  For a while after I installed both versions, I had
trouble booting 6.0.4 -- when I clicked on it, it would boot 6.2.9.  At some
point, this problem disappeared (who knows why?) and all was working fine
until I restarted today.  Now only 6.2.9 will open, regardless of which icon
I click on.  (I downloaded the apps when I bought them, and don't have the
disks.)  Maybe this has something to do with which folders the apps should
be in, and maybe it's a question for AppleWorks User Group, but if anyone
can shine light on why the restart caused all this, I'll be most grateful.

Nolan Porterfield