Thanks, Dan, Neal, and Anne for very useful info.   I gather that anything
can go just about anywhere, according to whatever order I prefer.  I have a
300 GB external hard drive (which actually amounts to about 280 GB).   In
two years, I've used only 57.4 GB, have 222.6 available.  Question:  if I
use Time Machine (new to me) to back up my entire new internal HD, will it
overwrite what's already there, or simply add to it (which I don't want)?
If the latter case, can I erase the external HD, and if so, how?  Again,
thanks for your help.  I'd be dead in the water, so to speak, without
MacGroup.

Nolan