On Mar 3, 2009, at 10:44 PM, Marta Edie <martae...@mac.com> wrote:

> I got all MY top sites on the screen, -- But alas, today they were
> gone,
> replaced with stuff I don't want and don't need. So Goodbye top sites
> for me.

If you click the little push pin icon (when in edit mode) on the sites
you put in place they should still be there when you go back.
Evidently, the Top Sites window is supposed to be dynamic, adjusting
to your actual browsing habits--whatever it thinks those are. For now,
I've just pinned the ones I want to stay there and let a few at the
bottom change. Getting tired of seeing my bank log-in page up there a
lot. It should remember sites that you delete and not put them there
any more. I'm sure that will get better with time.

> So what is left of this new Safari Browser. Several of my websites
> don't even show up, Safari can't manage, firefox can. I don't think
> the switch was necessary.

That is a common discussion on the web since Safari 4 came out. I
would more suspect the sites as being non-standards-compliant, but it
may be Safari. The problem is when a site thinks it has to adhere to
the "Internet Explorer Standard." That messes it up for all other
browsers that attempt to honor standards compliance. Remember Safari 4
is billed as a Beta, so it is clear that Apple doesn't intend for it
to be a finished product. They put it out there for feedback. I, for
one, love it. I like the speed and the new interface, and I have yet
to run into a site that it can't display, although I don't bank with
BB&T.

> This brings up another subject. I had asked for explanations why a map
> a friend sent me in a .doc file did not open , that is it opened but
> no map showed, just one black dot in all my computers, but opened
> nicely in my iPhone.

The iPhone has the ability to read more formats by design. Your friend
probably sent you some windows graphic format that requires something
that understands it. While TextEdit does a great job of opening .doc
and .docx files (even better than some versions of Office) it
evidently doesn't understand all graphic file formats.

> Textedit did not open it, nor did Bean. Today I tried it with
> Appleworks 6, and it worked with the map. These things can really
> bring your emotions into high gear, if only one could know what is
> going on.

What you're running into is the proliferation of formats by competing
interests. Be glad you're using a Mac. At least you are on a platform
that TRIES to get along with everyone, rather than an operating system
that says that everyone needs to get along with IT.

j.

--
Jonathan Fletcher
FileMaker 9 Certified Developer