Friends, Louisvillians (mostly), Mac-users,

I thought y'all might like to see what's been goin' on in the old battle of the tech titans. In the last week Apple and Microsoft have announced their most recent quarterly earnings.

I put both of their stock charts together on one graph showing the last 5 days and took a screen shot of it for comparison's sake.

Now bear in mind that Apple closed at $160 today (the highest they've been in nearly a year) and that Microsoft closed at $23.11, so the chart does not show absolute value, but merely relative movement.

Also note that the total of all their stock (known as market capitalization or "market cap") is quite another story. Apple's is $143.5 billion and Microsoft's is 202.7 billion, so their stock price is not a total picture of what Wall Street thinks of them.

The important story is which direction they are heading.

See the chart I posted for the rest of the story:

<http://www.newmediaconstco.com/AAPLvsMSFT.jpg>

Now this is in the face of an economy that is mostly down and tech spending is also pretty far down. This shows us that rather than choosing to chase the crowd to the bottom of the pricing scale, providing more for your money is a winning strategy. Microsoft can be taken as a proxy for the entire (non-Mac) PC industry, since theirs is the OS most common on Dell, HPs, Lenovo, Acer, Gateway, ad nauseum...

It's looking like when people have less money they want to make sure they get every penny's worth.

Now, who'da thought?

Oh, yeah, Apple!

::-)

--