I had mentioned recently how easy it was to do a restore from TimeMachine to 
your computer, or another disk.  I have done this several times and it's almost 
magical BUT it will NOT work when trying to restore from an older iMac with 
Snow Leopard to a new MacPro.  UGH, this was a hard lesson to learn.

I had a 12 core MacPro Server that I wanted to move to an ordinary Mac, 
reformatted the hard drive and tried to install the Snow Leopard disk, it would 
not read it so I made an appointment with the Genius Bar.

Seems some of the MacPro drives would not read a few of the Snow Leopard disk, 
of course I had one.  They were kind enough to go ahead and install Lion on the 
drive from their server, I bought the thumb drive with Lion on it.  

Once home I hooked up the TimeMachine drive to the MacPro and did a restore.  
Took a long time, but would not complete and when checking the drive none of my 
files were really there, it also had created a Recovered HD whick I could boot 
from since my drive 1 was unusable.   In doing lots of checking and 45 min. 
with Apple support I find the restore had scrambled my Disk 1, so I booted to 
this recovered HD and ask to restore and NOW I was told that I could not use as 
this backup was made with an older Mac and could not be used to restore to this 
new machine.

I wish it had told me before!!  

Reformatted drive 1 again, reinstalled Lion and now am dragging and dropping 
all the files, applications, etc.  This is sure a LOT harder than using 
TimeMachine but there are instances when it can't be done.  Thought I would 
pass along my struggles.

John


_______________________________________________
MacGroup mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.math.louisville.edu/mailman/listinfo/macgroup

Reply via email to