I'm using Apple's Mail 6.6 on a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 running Mac OS X 10.8.5.

My problem is with junk mail. I recently stopped using Win.net's junk mail
filtering service. It went bonkers for a few days and was filtering out just
about everything including replies to my messages. Going through Win.net's junk
filtering looking for important messages is SO  SLOW that I decided it was a
lot faster and easier to simply use Mail. Just hope I can improve it a bit.

In Mail's Preferences>Junk Mail I have the following checked:

Enable junk mail filtering

Move it to the junk mailbox

exempt:
Sender of message is in my Contacts
Sender of message is in my Previous Recipients
Message is addressed using my full name

Also: Trust junk mail headers in messages

The junk mail filter doesn't seem to be filtering out much. Is there something
else I should be doing? I vaugely remember something about "training" the junk
mail filter. Does that process still exist?

Thanks for any help.

Anne CArtwright