I own a financial services firm and we would never act on wiring or
distribution instructions contained in an email, from a client, realtor, bank,
etc. We would always pick up the phone and call our client. We usually
recognize their voices. If we didn’t, we would use several forms of verifying
their ID, including asking questions no cyber criminal would know, “When is
your anniversary?”, “What year did we agree upon in your financial plan as a
retirement date?”, “Tell me again where you said your son was doing his
internship?”, “what year did we meet, and who referred you to me?”

We repeat any  instructions provided to us, asking our client to carefully
verify the routing numbers and banking info. They must sign a Letter of
Authorization, and their signature is compared to those on file previously.

This stuff is very scary, we are paranoid about it, We are seeing increased
attempts at accessing Non Public Info (NPI) by cybercriminals. Frankly, we
would never trust an email, no matter how secure it appears to be, no matter
what form of encryption was used. I don’t care if the email comes from the
Pope, or Greater Deity,  we are never going to send funds without proper
vetting. When it comes to distributing funds, multiple levels of verification
are necessary, and picking up the phone and dialing a real person is the best
form of analog verification.

You can be proactive on your end too. Never just email instructions to a
financial institution. Take them in personally, mail them, call (and then use
email to back up those other methods), but DON’T RELY ON EMAIL to conduct
sensitive financial transactions…. Slow down, never be in a hurry, and double
check and double verify everything!

Andy