On Oct 17, 2017, at 5:11 PM, Harry Jacobson-Beyer <harr...@me.com
<mailto:harr...@me.com>> wrote:

> A few weeks ago I was at the Main public library on York St. I was never able
> to connect to their public wifi and to Private Internet Access (PIA) at the
> same time on my iPhone. If I disconnected PIA I was able to connect to their
> wifi. If I turned off WiFi on my iPhone I could connect to PIA.
>
> Any idea why this would happen. I believe you once told me you had not
> trouble connecting to the Library’s public wifi and to PIA at the same time.

It’s pretty easy for the library to block the ports needed for standard VPN,
although I don’t know why they’d want to. If you go to the advanced setup in
PIA, you can change the ports and protocol. I’d first try TCP over port 443.

I know early last summer I connected to PIA from the St. Matthews branch
library and didn’t have to do anything special. I’m returning some books there
in a few days and I’ll see if they’ve recently started blocking ports.

One way to see which ports are being blocked is to try the Shields Up
<https://www.grc.com/intro.htm> website.

L^2

---
‌Lee Larson‌
‌leelar...@me.com <mailto:leelar...@me.com>‌

‌One of the biggest roles of science fiction is to prepare people to accept the
future without pain and to encourage a flexibility of mind. Politicians should
read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories. Two-thirds of 2001 is
realistic — hardware and technology — to establish background for the
metaphysical, philosophical, and religious meanings later. ‌— Arthur C. Clarke
‌The Making of Kubrick’s 2001‌

‌‌‌