Hi all,

I use my laptop for both work and home. Because my work stuff must be hidden
from prying eyes, I put all my work stuff on some encrypted disk images which I
eject at the end of the work day.

The bad thing about encrypted disk images is that they have a size, and so they
run out of space periodically as I add more and more stuff.

Enter APFS: it would seem that I could switch to using encrypted APFS volumes
instead of the disk images. The big advantage to this is that they share space
with everything else on my internal drive, so that they have no artificial size
limit (other than that of the internal drive as a whole). I could then unmount
the APFS volumes at the end of the work day. Aside from seeming a little
clumsier (gotta mount the volumes from Disk Utility instead of from Finder),
this looks to be theoretically OK.

I don't know if it is empirically OK, however, which is kinda important.

I tried googling but only found various bits of information on each of the two
ways of storing things, but no arguments saying whether one should be favored
over the other.

Does switching from encrypted sparsebundle images to encrypted APFS volumes
seem like a good thing to do, or does it seem dopey? Does using APFS volumes
affect how backups work? Is there any increased danger that absent-mindedness
could destroy large chunks of data?

Thanks for any practical experience advice.

Bill