Have a look at rtapi_compat.c

The methods there for looking at values in /sys /proc and /dev are probably the best bets, (or just capture the output from `uname -r`, `dmesg | grep Linux version` etc etc :-) )

I have found the `flavor` binary, which uses the rtapi_compat.c methods, can get confused between rt-preempt and posix however.

I think I changed the flavor evaluation order in the Machinekit-NG experiments, to stop it returning 'posix' when in fact the kernel was 'rt-preempt',
albeit posix had been built also.

regards