Hi,

  The PID in the Xylotex.hal file is to eliminate 'hunting' by the low
level stepper code that runs in background to maintain position (sort of
like a servo).  While the position is actually stable and no STEP pulse is
actually generated, the DIR line can end up toggling.  This can cause noise
on stepper motors via the stepper drives changing current level to the
motors (probably actually changing the decay mode for coil
charge/discharge).  Not all stepper drive suffer from this problem, so this
change isn't needed for all systems.  Nevertheless, the changing current
level from an affected drive can cause an audible noise from the motors.
Removing the hunting removes the DIR change thus removing the additional
noise on the motor.

Jeff.