I suggest you read the posts on the linuxcnc forum.

More words have been written on this than most other subjects.

For the most part, the people who ask, want to exceed the limits of their stepper motors but escape the consequences.

https://www.forum.linuxcnc.org/forum/27-driver-boards/29357-real-closed-loop-steppers

Above is a starter