I have been looking for the same information for a while and have looked at
all the links listed in the past. My purpose being to design a remote gui
that strictly interfaces via a network. ZMQ would also be used. I have done
some python and qtpy work with linuxcnc but my goal is to use a remote gui
that can run on windows.

I have an interest in machine kit since a lot of work has been done on
remote gui ability but not a fan of protobuf.  Thus for me I will replace
protobuf with flatbuffers and at some point in the future and also start
thinking about perhaps replacing NML with flatbuffers.
Info on flatbuffers is at:  https://google.github.io/flatbuffers/

Converting the established proto files to flatbuffers files apears to be
easy which simplifies things.
Info on speed comparisons:
https://google.github.io/flatbuffers/flatbuffers_benchmarks.html

Anyway these are some of the the things going through my mind that I
anticipate working on this year.