On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 5:29:40 AM UTC-4, Michael Brown wrote:

> Seems like all the infrastructure is in place, copy/overwrite the sserial
> tags into your pin custom file and compile the .rbf.
> Looks like it will then auto probe the rs422 connected connected 8i20 on
> hm2 driver load.

That's good to know. I'll give it a whirl on the next iteration.

On Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 7:50:21 AM UTC-4, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> RS-422 is always differential.  It may be full duplex (which only
> requires TX and RX) or half duplex (which adds a TX-Enable signal).
> The 7i76 daughtercard requires two SSERIAL channels, one for the 7i76
> itself (for the Field I/O signals), and one which gets exported via
> the TB3 connector.
> Both buses are full duplex and do not require a TX-Enable signal.
> The SSERIAL communication between the FPGA and the 7i76 is via
> standard digital logic levels.  The 7i76 provides an RS-422
> transceiver for the SSERIAL bus on TB3.

 I asked a similar question over on the LCNC forums and PCW confirmed it's
just straight RS-422. The 7i76 was probably a bad example, the LBP section
of the manual for the (e) version confirms what you said about it
communicating with it's own I/O section over SSerial, I just want to slap
the single SSerial channel on the board. Not sure about the termination
resistor, I usually see it suggested on the Rx line but the datasheet for
the transceiver I'm looking at suggests termination on the driver as well.
Any thoughts on the attached drawing?

Thanks for the help guys.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/machinekit/60cf75a6-65ce-4836-92a2-a663ad86b789%40googlegroups.com.