Hi Patrick,

thanks for your detailed feedback.

The file "/boot/grub/menu.lst" is not owned by any rpm package, so it is
considered unmanaged.
You can check this with the command `rpm -q --whatprovides
/boot/grub/menu.lst` if you like.

The problem is that by default Machinery ignores unmanaged files from
"/boot".
I think this filter was added because initrds can be quite big and the
configuration files there are usually also generated and overwritten
each time a new kernel is installed.
For Grub2 for example the information used for the generation of the
"/boot/grub2/grub.cfg" is stored under "/etc/default/grub".

It seems though that in case of Grub1 the menu.lst is essential for
Yast, so it doesn't look like that the information is stored somewhere else.
So we will remove the "/boot" path from the default filter in the next
Machinery release.

At the moment there is no way to overwrite the default filters with a
command line option.
If you want to get rid of this one filter before our next release you
can remove it from the file "filters/default_filters.json" in your
machinery installation path .

Regards
Tim

On 01/07/2016 08:22 PM, Swartz, Patrick wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The good… I recently had a wonderful opportunity to test out Machinery
> between two SLES11 server to find why one was working as expect while
> the other one wasn’t.  The comparison did show me several key
> components that I needed to fix.
>
> The “needs-work” … however, the main fix that I found wasn’t something
> that Machinery picked up on, which surprised me a bit as it turned out
> to be a difference in the kernel parameter in the /boot/grub/menu.lst
> file.  Seeing how that is a critical config file I would have thought
> Machinery would inspect it along with the other configs it inspects.
>

> Admittedly I ran just stock inspect/compares, so is there a way
> Machinery could have found this?
>

> Thanks again for a great tool and I’m excited about what I’ll be able
> to do with it as I learn more.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Patrick H Swartz
>
> Lead Technical Analyst/Linux
>
> Tyson Foods, Inc.

> intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the
> intended addressee, then you have received this email in error and any
> use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is
> strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately of your unintended
> receipt by reply and then delete this email and your reply. Tyson
> Foods, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates will not be held
> liable to any person resulting from the unintended or unauthorized use
> of any information contained in this email or as a result of any
> additions or deletions of information originally contained in this email.

SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham
Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)