Hi,

I’m glad to see that you fetch this topic again…

I try to summarise the bug:

Starting with JDK7 Apples Quartz based rendering pipeline isn’t available
anymore. So JDK7 and higher uses the OpenGL based pipeline on MacOSX. After
hours of analysing my conclusion is that BufferedImage isn’t implemented via
VolatileImage anymore (but it was in Apples JDK6).

So if you render BufferedImages in JDK7/8/9 the rendering performance is very
slow. The only solution right now is to use VolatileImages directly.

So what’s missing in JDK7/8/9 is the VolatileImage based implementation of
BufferedImages….This leads to an unusable JDK on Mac OS X right now. By the
way: That’s the reason why big Java based desktop software like IntelliJ
doesn’t provide a JRE 7/8 bundle IntelliJ for Mac OS X at the moment…

So my conclusion is: JDK7 and JDK8 are not in beta stage and not finished on
Mac OS X! I don’t understand why Oracle has released it as ready….

Hope to see a solution in the near future, otherwise we can’t use Java Swing on
Desktop on Mac OS X anymore…

Best regards,
Tobi