Hi, macosx-port-dev.

Below is a bug report about a paint flicker bug on MacOS. I've tried to capture
it on video here<https://vimeo.com/147649683>, although it's hard to see due to
my camera's limited frame rate. Has anyone else observed this bug? Is this the
right mailing list to ask on?

-- Eirik

===== Bug report follows =====
There seems to be an intermittent but bad paint bug in recent versions of Java
for MacOS (last 6-12 months; unsure which exact version it first appeared in).
In my setup, I have the NetBeans IDE running on my MacBook Air for most of the
day, and I connect and disconnect an external 2560x1440 monitor several times a
day. About once a week, my running Java app (NetBeans IDE or the Java app I'm
developing) enters a mode where all paint updates happen with a very noticable
flicker. This is especially jarring when scrolling in a JScrollPane or typing
text in the NetBeans editor. Typing also seems to be delayed. The flicker can
also be seen in the indeterminate JProgressBar animation (blue stripey
barberpole animation). The workaround is to restart the IDE or Java app in
question.

>From observing the bug, what seems to be happening is that every time a new
>frame is painted, the old frame becomes briefly visible again for a fraction
>of a second before the new frame reappears. For instance, suppose the editor
>shows the word "tes" and the user types "t", then the following will happen:

1) The editor first shows "tes|". (where | is the cursor)
2) The user then types the letter "t", and the editor updates to show "test|".
3) Immediately afterwards, for a very brief moment, the editor shows "tes|"
again.
4) Immediately afterwards again, the editor finally shows "test|" again.

The bug appeared again today and I've tried to capture it on this video:
https://vimeo.com/147649683 . However, the flickering happens so fast that it's
difficult to see what's going on in a low-frame-rate screen recording. You can
just see it happening during scrolling at 01:13 (compare with smooth scrolling
in a different Java app for which the bug has not manifested itself at 02:40)
and during editing right after 01:48. During editing, notice how the text
cursor skips back while I'm typing characters (the recording only manages to
catch it doing this every now and then).

Product Version: NetBeans IDE 8.1 (Build 201510222201)
Java: 1.8.0_66; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.66-b17
Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_66-b17
System: Mac OS X version 10.9.5 running on x86_64; UTF-8; en_US (nb)
Hardware: 13-inch MacBook Air, Mid 2012