I am trying to add some support for my application updating external files.
Appstore is not necessarily a major concern, but I wouldn’t want to eliminate
it as a possibility for no good reason by doing something unnecessarily
violating some app store constraint. In some quick browsing I saw no real
better choice to place the data than using the Application Support directory.
If there is a better way of handling that now please let me know.

The problem is that the Application Support directory is a user one.
/Users/<user_name_here>/Library/Application Support/<app_name>
The application has configuration property files that refer to these files by
name. I can get around having to provide full path in these property files by
only providing filename and having it in class path. The configuration code
looks like it will then check for the file first in the ‘current working
directory’ (user.dir?). Then checking for it in class path.

Fine, unless I want the application to be able to update the file. Class path
entries are all internal to the application bundle which in the Application
directory I don’t think is supposed to be updatable. The idea I just had was ok
make some thing like Application Support/<app_name>/classes an entry in class
path via an URLClassLoader. I am considering something similar for plugin code
anyhow,jars,property files, everything going into Application Support. Does
this seem like it would violate App Store/sandboxing or anything like that?

Michael Hall