On Nov 2, 2010, at 12:34 PM, Michael Winter wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Sven Aluoor wrote:
>>
>> What are your experiences with AppleCare Protection Plans? Do you buy
>> it usually? Is it worth it? If a Disk fails, will Apple fix it for
>> free?
>
> FWIW, I generally don't for computers that are primarily single-user and
> safely situated on a desk for their lifetime (barring the occasional move).
> For hardware that will be carried around a lot or be subject to greater abuse
> (laptops, large number of users, etc.) I do buy AppleCare.
>
> I'm sure other have different criteria.

Curiously, mobility is not the factor that one would assume it is.  AppleCare
is not an insurance policy -- if you drop, spill into, or damage your own
machine, you're going to pay for the repair yourself.  AppleCare covers only
"inherent" failures, which strike both desktops and laptops equally.

When I think of the biggest hits on the product line that AppleCare did cover
or would have covered if they had happened within three years, the ones at the
top of my list are the bad capacitor problem (G4 eMacs and G5 iMacs), the
overheating (G3) and bulging (early Intel) battery problems (portables), the
failing graphics processors (Intel iMacs), and the overheating power supplies
(G3/G4 portables).

--
  Macs R We -- Personal Macintosh Service and Support
    in the Wickenburg and far Northwest Valley Areas.