As I understand it, you can't "create custom fields" in Address Book, you can
only set "custom labels" on existing fields you aren't using.  For example, you
can rename "Birthday" to "Shoe Size," but Address Book is still going to treat
and format it as if it were a birthday.  That being understood, I suppose it's
understandable that it would format its output in the order in which some
programmer believes a birthday would be most helpful to appear.

In general, AB's formatting and printing options are neither well thought-out
nor flexible.  My own biggest use of AB is to print lists of clients I am
scheduled to visit on any given day. I keep driving directions in the notes
field.  EVERY TIME I print my daily appointment list, I have to manually
checkbox the Address and Notes fields or they don't show up on the page.  A
properly designed app -- an app that somebody actually cared about -- would let
you set such preferences once and allow you to make them defaults.  I see the
field order thing as the same class of issue.

On Aug 19, 2011, at 3:12 AM, Rudolf O. Durrer wrote:

> I have bought a new MBP with  10.6.8 (I've run before a last years MBP with
> osx 10.5.8). My  adressbook template contains about 30 selfdefined fields.
> Until now, this fields (if not empty), showed up in the sequence they had
> been defined in the template.
> With the new snowLeopard adressbook, the fields show still in the "regular"
> sequence when enterin data. But after closing the ENTER mode, all fileds get
> randomly displayed, which is a greater annoyance (some fields hold data which
> should be viewed together).
>
> Is this phenomenon known to someone?
> Thanks for advice
> MacOSX-talk mailing list
> MacOSX-talk@omnigroup.com

  Macs R We -- Personal Macintosh Service and Support
    in the Wickenburg and far Northwest Valley Areas.
                            http://macsrwe.com