On Dec 24, 2011, at 2:38 PM, Neil Laubenthal wrote:

> i think the ram is soldered to the motherboard

You got it.  Service guide says: "Defective memory... replace logic board."
Memory is actually underneath another component.

>> Lets say I were to get the cheap 64GB air, and upgrade drive and
>> memory on my own. Is this an end-user upgrade, or is it a PITA? How
>> much would the self upgrade cost compared to the Apple cost?

Replacing the SSD itself is simple... but there are several places in the
overall procedure where you can damage your soft battery if not extremely
careful.

--
  Macs R We -- Personal Macintosh Service and Support
    in the Wickenburg and far Northwest Valley Areas.