On Aug 11, 2012, at 8:21 AM, Andrew Brown wrote:

> On 11 août 2012, at 16:24, LuKreme wrote:
>
>> On 10 Aug 2012, at 08:38 , Andrew Brown <li...@c18.net> wrote:
>>> I get a deal of spam, and have to check it all to make sure that there are
>>> no legitimate messages in there.
>>>
>>> I decided to get clever and set up an auto reply for all messages received
>>> from those not among my previous recipients, offering real people the
>>> chance to contact me by other means.
>>
>> This is a *terrible* idea. Not only are most of the messages going to
>> bounce, but the ones that don’t are spamming innocent people who’s email
>> addresses where forged.
>>
>> Stop doing this. Now. Never ever *EVER* auto reply to spam.
>
> Yes, it does not work at all, as I soon discovered. The only viable option
> seems to be to delete all mail unseen from those to whom I have not written,
> and put up with the consequences.

There is another option. Gmail does a terrific job of filtering out spam.

Now that Google has been caught cheating and violating privacy, you might not
trust them any longer -- I don't.
But it's the only viable option I've found for dealing with spam.

> MacOSX-talk mailing list
> MacOSX-talk@omnigroup.com

This is coming from Mail.app. I hate the new Gmail web look, and dislike Mail
only slightly less.