Time Capsule is one of the few places where Apple completely exercises the
"ownership" mechanism, so unless you're logged in as root, Finder copy is going
to be a big headache (even if you're the only user on the backup).

My first approach would be to mount both drives explicitly and then use Disk
Copy restore with "erase target," which does block copies of drives.

On Nov 30, 2012, at 12:11 PM, Jeff Weinberger wrote:

> Hi:
>
> My time capsule seems to be on its last legs, so I am buying a new one. I
> have two Macs backed up to the current time capsule (using time machine)
> and a bunch of other stuff stored there.
>
> I know I can use finder copy to move stuff over when both are connected,
> but I am concerned about maintaining backup integrity and history not to
> mention the very long time that will take, and making sure when it's all
> done, the new one looks pretty much like the old one.
>
> I recall a thread about this a while ago, but could not find anything
> beyond "use finder copy," so I thought I'd ask again if there are any tools
> or methods that will do a direct copy preserving data stuctures and
> metadata.
>
> Any help is much appreciated!!
>
> Jeff

  Macs R We -- Personal Macintosh Service and Support
    in the Wickenburg and far Northwest Valley Areas.
                            http://macsrwe.com