I used to use the remote management function a lot, but starting in Lion it got
insupportable. Now it conflicts with screen sharing, and I found out that you
might as well just turn off remote management and turn on screen sharing
instead. It gives you all the same capabilities that remote management used to
anyway, and the system treats it much more reliably.