Just because the capacitors on the logic board "look fine" doesn't mean they
are fine.  Bulges prove they are bad, but no bulges don't prove anything.  One
thing that is known is that if your capacitors have "+" shaped slots on top,
they are not the bad lot -- the bad lot all have "K" shaped slots on top.  This
can also be determined by the serial number ranges for the bad iMacs, which
Apple has published.

On this model, if the machine boots as far as yours does, I'd sooner suspect
the logic board capacitors than the power supply capacitors.  In any event, the
12V lines are mainly used for running mechanicals (hard drive, optical drive)
and not logic elements.

The problem with buying replacements on eBay is that you never know whether you
are buying a unit that is "good," or just one that is "not yet gone bad."

There are places that perform whole capacitor transfusions for this model
(e.g., http://www.maccetera.com/macstuff/imac_g5.html at $200;
http://www.bentleypc.com/shop/imac_g5_bad_capacitors.php at "call to quote," or
http://doubleclickittofixit.com/listings/kurt-kaufhold-apple-imac-g5-17″-capacitor-replacement-service-on-w84508tuptlz-by-doubleclickittofxiit/
 at $75).

You can also buy "kits" online for $25.  I tried doing this job myself, ONCE.
I found the low-lead solder used by Apple impossible to rework with my
"traditional" soldering equipment.  I won't attempt this job again.