On Aug 1, 2013, at 8:41 AM, Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:

> So I'm asking again for some help here.
>
> As I said before: I attempted to encrypt a time machine partition.
> Things went bad.
>
> At this point, I'd be happy if I could figure out how to reformat the
> partition and start over.
>
> On a separate note, is there a way to do file vault encryption of a
> second partition on my main drive? (The partition that has /Users and
> my home directory). An encrypted disk image has all the issues of time
> machine not working properly; a partition on my main drive won't have
> a cable disconnect, and as long as my time machine drive is
> un-encrypted, I should be able to recover from any problems, right?

So, I've managed to figure out how to reformat the partition, and start over.
Oddly, while disk utility will tell you that it won't do anything to the drive
with a core storage partition on it, it will still let you reformat the core
storage partition. All well and good, right?

<Sigh>. Tonight, I found out while browsing around that this has happened to
others.

Quote:
I think that the reason that this encryption failed was because I interrupted
the encryption process in the middle.
I thought that this was going to be like in the Filevault 2 encryption in
Settings, that if you reboot the machine, as soon as you are logged in again,
it simply continues.

For any reason, the encryption failed and it didn't continue and was stacked in
the middle of the encryption process. This was the reason of my problem of not
being able to decrypt my hard-drive after login, and also what made possible
that I've been able to get all my stuff back.

For the operating system this was an encrypted hard-drive. The password didn't
work because the encryption process didn't finnish so for some reason, to put
the right decryption password didn't work.

Then I used Data rescue 3, as the hard-drive was not completely encrypted, for
this application was still possible to reach all the not yet encrypted data.
After scanning the hard-drive for several hours, Data Rescue 3 found all the
stuff there with the right folder hierarchy and from there I was able to get
back all my stuff.

Just in case this could help anybody in a similar situation.
/Quote.

I had not heard of "Data Rescue 3" before. But it's nice to know that someone
else has run into this, and solved it. Sadly, I had formatted and restarted a
fresh time machine dump onto this drive first ...

I had also asked about doing file vault encryption of the second partition with
my home folder on it. Turns out that someone has solved that.
https://github.com/jridgewell/unlock
I have not yet looked at the code, but it seems to do just what is wanted.

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce