But there’s no editing bar, only a status bar at the bottom, which shows you
the contents of the cell but is not editable.

Somebody else gave me the answer: make the column wider so there is plenty of
space after the link, click safely to the right of it, and you will eventually
get the I-beam cursor.  Now drag across the link, control-click, choose Edit
Link, then Remove.  But drag carefully, because if you don’t select EXACTLY the
linked characters and no others, “Edit Link” will not appear.

Sigh.