On 15 Dec 2014, at 12:35 PM, Carl Hoefs <newsli...@autonomy.caltech.edu> wrote:

> Curious — have you tried using Target Disk Mode TDM on the old Mac Pro with
> the optical drive?
> -Carl

Hi Carl,

Someone else suggested that as well, and I have not yet tried it, but I was
hoping for a more convenient solution.  I don't really want to reboot (in
Target Disk Mode) every time I want to import a CD (that I own!) into iTunes.

On 15 Dec 2014, at 1:03 PM, Macs R We <macs...@macsrwe.com> wrote:

> That's guaranteed to work. I've done that myself. Only it won't help him if
> he has to access a networked machine at a physical distance. Damn DRM laws
> strike again.

In my case, although the 2 macs are networked, they are both in the same room,
so I could use Target Disk Mode if I wanted, but I was really hoping for
something more convenient (via screen sharing and optical disk sharing).

Why does DRM allow me to import songs to a mac that has an optical drive
built-in, but not to a mac that has been set up to share the other one's drive?
 Both are authorized in iTunes, so that should show that both are my macs.
With the new Mac Pros (and MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs and Mac Minis) not
having an optical drive, is this a way to force folks like me to buy an
external optical drive that can be connected directly?  I can do that, but
among other things, it adds clutter.

Thanks,

Gregg