Maybe I’m misunderstanding the big picture here, but Time Machine allows you to
specify files and volumes that are not to be backed up; and, although I’ve
never tried it, I would try setting discretionary read-only permissions on the
bundle and/or the interior volume to prevent any accidental modification of the
contents.