Right off the bat, I think you made a mistake in putting the * at the end of
the command. The whole idea of piping the output from LS is to input it to
touch, and you just provided touch with another argument first. I think if you
just let LS do its job and don't provide touch any arguments, you will get what
you want, including all of the necessary requoting.