> What is the best way to backup a file system? The goal is "perfect
> restoration" (including meta data / file structure, not just data
> restoration), with historical replication (so not just disk cloning)?

Ok, minor nit: If you have a file system inside a sparse bundle, and backup
that sparse bundle, then yes, your hard links are preserved.

Sparse bundles don't work well when you are talking about really big volume (I
tested ... sigh ... it was over 2 TB). And while you can't restore the
individual files, I just realized that you could mount the sparse bundle itself
read-only and restore from that (might need a bash command to mount the sparse
bundle read only, never tried asking finder to do it.)

(In my case, I have restored from a time machine backup long ago. At least now
I know that all my hardlinks are broken. But my really old stuff from PPC days
is on a sparse bundle ... go figure for luck.)

---
Entertaining minecraft videos
http://YouTube.com/keybounce