That's a good idea.  I just checked and, based on the names of the folders,
there appears to be only one per hour.  So, this suggests that the listing
within the Time Machine app is reporting two backups per hour when in fact only
one is being performed (or at least only one is being kept in the usual
location).

Gregg

On 03/05/2018, 12:55 PM, "Macs R We" <macs...@macsrwe.com> wrote:

    Why not examine the folder hierarchy on your backup drive and inspect the
individual folder names, which will tell you when each backup set was actually
taken.  Then at least you will know which end of the process is misbehaving.

    > On Mar 5, 2018, at 9:26 AM, Dinse, Gregg (NIH/NIEHS) [C]
<di...@niehs.nih.gov> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running MacOSX 10.12.6 on a mid-2010 Mac Pro tower.  I just upgraded
from Yosemite to Sierra, so that may be related.

    > I installed a "new" hard drive and dedicated it to Time Machine.  It's
only been running for about a day.  I opened the Time Machine app today and, as
usual, there are the tick marks along the right side of the screen that show
when the various backups were performed (when the mouse hovers over a given
tick mark).  Ideally the backups are about an hour apart.  In my case, there
are pairs of tick marks with the same time listed.  That is, the last two tick
marks show exactly the same time, the next two tick marks also show the exact
same time (though an hour earlier), and so on.  I don't know if two backups are
being performed each hour, or if the listing is just messed up.  Has anyone
seen this?  Does anyone know how to fix it?  Is there some preference file
somewhere that is messed up?