From: David Schwartz <da...@yesdavid.com>
Date: Friday, March 30, 2018 at 10:04 PM
To: "macosx-talk@omnigroup.com" <macosx-talk@omnigroup.com>
Subject: Re: Local Items keychain asking for password

So here's what I've experienced:

On a Macintosh bound to an Active Directory server _and_ with an MDM profile
that requires a passphrase that confirms to a particular recipe.

The user(s) had been in this enterprise for a long time; over time the security
team had tightened the requirements for new passphrases but allowed existing
passphrases to remain valid.

When the machines were updated to Sierra, the MDM profile requiring the new,
stronger passphrases prevented the Keychain from being satisfied with the
older, less secure passphrase. Might have been a bug with the MDM vendor, I
don't know.

The solution I used was to have the users change their passphrase to conform to
the new security recipe. After that the machines behaved normally without
keychain prompts.

If your enterprise has an online form to change your directory passphrase, you
might be able to test the theory by entering your existing passphrase in the
"new passphrase" field and see if it's accepted (again, depending on the
systems you have in place; a well designed system will give a failure message
when you tab out of the field).

Or you can just change your directory password to something that satisfies
current enterprise policies and see if that solves your issue.

The newer you are in your employment the less valid this theory, but that's
none of my business.

-david