Just a note:

I don't know if this is related or not, but recently I had a situation
where I was attempting to back up OS/X borne files to an OS/9 server.
They had lengthy filenames.  Every time I tried doing a 'drag-copy' I
received an error -35 message.

After breaking the sub-folders down & finding the culprits it was indeed
that the filenames were too long.  Upon shortening them I was able to
copy them without incident.

Unfortunately I didn't count the number of characters involved.  I can
only assume that OS/9 has a shorter filename limit than OS/X.

Oh and BTW - it is a coincidence that in your conversation: 27 is 31
minus the dot-3 extension?