On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Riccardo Perotti wrote:

> On 03/16/2003 12:16 PM, "Puneet Kishor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 11:13  AM, Riccardo Perotti wrote:
>
> >> ... which leads me to think that I have to "sudo" at some point
> >> (right?).
> >>
> >> If so, when would the correct time be?
> >> ..
> >
> > right at the beginning.
> >
> > sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell
> >
> > that's how I do it and it works.
> >
> Great, Thanks!
>
> ... should I worry/do something about the
>
>     /bin/sh: /System/Library/Perl/darwin/perllocal.pod: Permission denied
>     make: [doc_site_install] Error 1 (ignored)
>
> ... error?

Do you still get the error when invoking CPAN.pm the way Puneet suggested?
If he's right -- and I think he is -- then it should go away.

To answer your original question just a little bit more deeply, it helps
to have a rough idea of how your command shell (tcsh or bash) handles the
arguments you feed to it. I won't get into detail here (mainly because
I'll mess something up, confuse you, and annoy others :), but the general
idea is that for any command you type, the rough structure is like this:

Or something like that -- in different contexts, the args can be optional
etc, but this is roughly how things work.

If you put 'sudo' at the beginning, in the shell arguments section, then
it will act on that instruction before trying to do anything else -- that
is, in this case, you are asking to run the following line with elevated
priviliges. Once the shell gets to the point that it is giving control to
the command and letting it handle the rest of the arguments, it's too late
to come back & ask for sudo priviliges again. That's why there's no option
to run individual CPAN.pm commands as sudo -- in the way it's meant to be
run, you have to have those permissions at the outset, not on demand.

There's a lot more to it than this of course, but that's the general
strategy that needs to be understood. You can of course learn much more by
reading the relevant man pages or a good Unix reference book.

--
Chris Devers    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

bootstrap, n. & v. trans.  [Origin: from the fictional attempts by
  Baron Munchhausen (described by Rudolph Raspe, 1785) to refute
  Newton's third law. Subsequent real bids at self-levitation led
  to the disappearance of straps from the footwear environment.]
1. n. The first straw that breaks the system's back.
2. v. trans. Also called BOOT. To ensnare (an operating system or
   program) in a sneaky, cumulative manner.

    -- from _The Computer Contradictionary_, Stan Kelly-Bootle, 1995