On 3/16/03 4:56 PM, "Mike Schienle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didnąt speak up
> because I wasnąt a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didnąt
> speak up because I wasnąt a Jew. Then they came for the trade
> unionists, and I didnąt speak up because I wasnąt a trade unionist.
> Then they came for Catholics, and I didnąt speak up because I was a
> Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to
> speak up."
>
> Protestant minister Martin Neimoller, reflecting on Germanyąs fall to
> the Nazis
>
> Maybe that will help you reconsider if the reprimand was justified.

Now I'm offended.  Jews subjugated by the Nazis.  Tim O'Reilly called "Tim O
Really."  Not equivalent in my mind.

Now, if there is some history to Tim O'Reilly being called by that other
name or any other name, then please enlighten me, so I can understand the
outrage.  Is it somehow insulting, and by that I mean more insulting than
just being a not really that clever play on his name?[1]  I can certainly
understand people wanting to be called by their given names, and I don't
have any problem with people making efforts to reinforce that point.  But
otherwise, I just don't get the strong feelings this has engendered, nor why
this is being compared to standing up for the the Jews in Nazi Germany.

 - geoff

[1] I did a search for "tim oh really" on Google, and came up with
plays/dialogues in which a character named Tim says "Oh really?"